This row of Greek Revival houses was built on land owned by Sailor’s Snug Harbor, an institution founded to serve the needs of retired seamen, which drove a hard bargain with the developer. The contract stipulated that the houses should be set back at least twelve feet from the street, that they should be at least three stories high, and that they should be built of stone or brick. The brickwork, which alternates long and short bricks in each row, is called Flemish Bond, and was only used in the most expensive houses. The entranceways include marble columns and carved wooden colonettes, another symbol of gracious living. The interiors of nos. 7 13, off Fifth Avenue, were gutted and converted to apartments in 1939 in an attempt by Sailor’s Snug Harbor to boost its income. The row is now owned by New York University.
1–13 WASHINGTON SQUARE NORTH NEW YORK Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- 2019 Home Decoration Trends
- THREE OF THE BEST: AIR POLLUTION MONITORS
- HOW TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB
- HOW TO ASSEMBLE FLAT-PACK FURNITURE
- HOW TO SET A TABLE