These are unquestionably the most elegant brownstone mansions anywhere in New York City. They were built for tea merchant A. A. Low (no. 3) and fur dealer Alexander M. White (no. 2). A third house, One Pierrepont Place, was torn down in 1946 to open an entrance to the Esplanade overlooking the river. It created a perfect way for strollers to study the impressive rear faÃ§ades of the surviving pair.