Long after the Brooklyn Bridge was opened in 1883, fourteen different ferry lines still connected
lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. The last of them, which wasn’t shut down until 1942, was one of
several that used this elegant terminal whose sheet metal exterior is painted green to match the
weathered copper skin of the Statue of Liberty. It was also at the Manhattan end of the ferry to
Governor’s Island when it was a Coast Guard base, and is still the only connection to the island for
the caretakers stationed there. At the time it was built as the Whitehall Ferry Terminal, it was one of
dozens of buildings like it lining the waterfront, but it is the only one that has survived.