When the Dutch ran this city, the main thoroughfare was a canal called de Heere Gracht, but when the
British took over in 1664, they filled it in and called it Broad Street”an appropriate name because,
thanks to the size of the canal, it was the widest street in the colony. The name has been considered
important ever since, which is why this tower on Whitehall Street pretends it has a Broad Street.