This tiny Historic District, of which these Greek Revival and Federal style row houses are a part, was the site of Richmond Hill, a 1776 Georgian mansion that overlooked the Hudson River. It served as George Washington’s headquarters, then as the official residence of Vice President John Adams, who moved there in 1789. Aaron Burr bought Richmond Hill four years later. Burr sold the estate to John Jacob Astor, who leveled the hill and divided the property into twenty-five-foot building lots for many of the houses that are here now.
CHARLTON-KING-VANDAM HISTORIC DISTRICT NEW YORK Photo Gallery