The Emigrant Savings Bank was founded in 1850 by the Irish Emigrant Society, with a boost from Roman Catholic Bishop John Hughes, to encourage saving habits among new arrivals from Ireland. By the time this structure, the third building on this same site, was built, it was the most successful savings bank in the city. It flaunted the distinction with this Beaux Arts confection. It is New York's first building designed with an H-shaped plan, giving daylight to nearly all of the office space. The interior is landmarked and worth a visit, even if it is now occupied by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank New York Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank New York Gallery Images