FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK

The tavern is a faithful recreation of the 1719 Etienne DeLancey house, which became the Queen’s
Head Tavern in 1762. It was operated by Samuel Fraunces, a West Indian who also served as
General George Washington’s chief steward, which gave him an inside track as caterer for the gala
banquet hosted by Governor Clinton to celebrate the evacuation of British troops from New York in
1783. The guest of honor was General Washington himself, who bade farewell to his officers in the
Long Room on the tavern’s second floor. The building deteriorated until 1904, when the Sons of the
Revolution bought it, meticulously restored it to its former appearance, and in 1907 reopened it as a
restaurant. It was refurbished once again, after the restaurant’s operator gave up in the face of rising
rents, and the lease changed hands in 2001.

FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK Photo Gallery

Click on Photos for Next FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK Gallery Images


FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK_15.jpg

FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK_9.jpg

FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK_8.jpg

FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK_7.jpg

FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK_3.jpg

FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK_2.jpg

No Responses to “FRAUNCES TAVERN NEW YORK”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*