There has been a carousel in Central Park for more than a century, but the original was virtually destroyed by a fire in 1950. This one was donated by the Michael Friedsam Foundation a year later. The remains of the original were reassembled at Bronx Beach Playland. The Foundation also rebuilt the carousel in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park the following year. Both merry-go-rounds have horses that were recycled from Coney Island, when they’d outlived their usefulness there. They represent a proud tradition dating back to the 1870s, when animal carvers created the first”and the best”carousel horses in what was known as the Coney Island Style. The Central Park horses were hand-carved by Harry Goldstein, a master of the style.
FRIEDSAM MEMORIAL CAROUSEL NEW YORK Photo Gallery