In 1893, Lillian Wald founded the âœNurse’s Settlementâ at 263 Henry Street to help Americanize the Eastern European Jewish immigrants on the Lower East Side. Later, as the Henry Street Settlement, it attracted the support of philanthropists Jacob Schiff and Morris Loeb, who bought the other two neighboring buildings and donated them to the effort. The structures are late Federal residences reflecting the character of this neighborhood in the early nineteenth century, when it was a semi-rural outpost at the edge of town.
HENRY STREET SETTLEMENT NEW YORK Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next HENRY STREET SETTLEMENT NEW YORK Gallery Images