This year, the Trust celebrates its silver jubilee. The charity was set up because Sir John – who was knighted in 1988 for his services to conservation – was concerned about the appalling neglect and careless demolition of so many minor, but important, architectural landmarks. To help fund the work of restoration and maintenance, the buildings are let for short holidays. The first Landmark was a humble church cottage in a small village near Cardigan. The unforgettable Egyptian House in Penzance was another early acquisition, as was Fort Clonque, built on Alderney in about 1847 as protection against the French.