This free, noncirculating library was established in 1882, by philanthropist Peter C. Van Schaick for his neighbors in what was then the small village of Westchester. The villagers declined the gift until railroad magnate Collis P. Huntington bought it, enlarged it, and renamed it for himself in 1891. It still operates as a reading room.
HUNTINGTON FREE LIBRARY NEW YORK Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next HUNTINGTON FREE LIBRARY NEW YORK Gallery Images