In 1870, the Queens County Seat was moved from Jamaica to Long Island City, making this courthouse a necessity. The center of government moved back further east after the consolidation of the five boroughs in 1898, and the center of justice eventually wound up on Queens Boulevard in Kew Gardens. In the meantime, after the state constitution created a supreme court appellate division, the early twentieth century saw a flurry of courthouse construction, beginning with the ornate appellate court on Manhattan’s Madison Square, and the refurbishing of this building on Courthouse Square in Queens.
NEW YORK STATE SUPREME COURT NEW YORK Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next NEW YORK STATE SUPREME COURT NEW YORK Gallery Images