This Art Deco building with peeling paint was once the home of Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, a member of not one but two of New York’s wealthiest families. An accomplished sculptor, she converted a stable in MacDougal Alley behind this building into a studio and gallery in 1907. It ultimately became the Whitney Museum of Art. The collection was moved from here in 1949, to a spot adjoining the Museum of Modern Art before moving again in the 1960s, to Madison Avenue at 75th Street.
NEW YORK STUDIO SCHOOL OF DRAWING, PAINTING AND SCULPTURE Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next NEW YORK STUDIO SCHOOL OF DRAWING, PAINTING AND SCULPTURE Gallery Images