This low-rent housing project, which originally contained nineteen stores and 280 two-to four-room apartments, was built at the river’s edge by local businessman Alfred T. White. Its western unit was demolished to make way for the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in 1953. The destruction also took several rows of brownstones, prompting the Brooklyn Heights Association to lobby highway czar Robert Moses to cover the resulting eyesore with an Esplanade overlooking the East River.
RIVERSIDE APARTMENTS NEW YORK Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next RIVERSIDE APARTMENTS NEW YORK Gallery Images