The Seventh Regiment was formed as a successor to the city’s volunteer militias by some of New York’s most prominent men, who personally paid for their own weapons and uniforms. In 1874, the city presented them with this site and, in the tradition of the regiment, its members paid for the armory. They engaged such designers as Louis Comfort Tiffany and Stanford White to create the firstfloor public rooms and individual company rooms upstairs. The huge drill shed, extending out to Lexington Avenue, is modeled after the train shed in the original Grand Central Terminal. It is used today by the New York National Guard, but is also famous as the location of the annual antiques show and similar public events that require such an immense amount of open space.
SEVENTH REGIMENT ARMORY NEW YORK Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- 2019 Home Decoration Trends
- THREE OF THE BEST: AIR POLLUTION MONITORS
- HOW TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB
- HOW TO ASSEMBLE FLAT-PACK FURNITURE
- HOW TO SET A TABLE