This is the third church on the same site, beginning with a 1697 structure that was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1776 and replaced by another that fell victim to snow piled on its roof during a blizzard in 1839. The parish itself was established as the colonial outpost of the Church of England by a 1705 land grant from England’s Queen Anne that included all of the territory west of Broadway from Fulton Street north to Christopher Street. The grant also transferred the rights to the contents of any ships that might run aground there and to all of the whales that washed ashore. But the real riches came in the form of leases for buildings that went up in that area known as The Queen’s Farms. Apart from being the richest and oldest parish in New York, Trinity is also its best-known church, thanks to its setting in a two-and-a-half-acre Colonial graveyard adjoining the canyons of the Financial District.
TRINITY CHURCH NEW YORK Photo Gallery